Wednesday 29 September 2010

Blog Banter #21: Low-Sec - The Forgotten part of EVE Online



Welcome to the twenty-first installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!


This month topic comes to us from @ZoneGhost who a few month ago asked: "Is Low Sec the forgotten part of EVE Online?" Is it? I'd like us to explore this even further. Is Low Sec being treated differently by CCP Games than Null Sec (Zero-Zero) or Empire space is? Can one successfully make a living in these unsecured systems where neither Alliance nor Concord roam to enforce their laws? What's needed? Or is everything fine as it is?


---

This is rather unfortunate timing for me.

At the moment I have very little to do with Low-Sec. My ventures out there are nothing more than my PI set-ups and the occasional mission. I don't deem my experiences-to-date worthy enough to offer a solid opinion. If I tried, I would just ramble rubbish and people will frown at me. So I will leave my personal opinions aside and just share what I know from others.

The Blogs that I follow often mention a sense of abandonment to Low-Sec. Mynxee is the latest to cover this matter in her most recent Blog posts. Moreover, she's attempting to change a few things with the help of others. Good on you, Mynxee.

From what I understand, nearly all pilots operate in High-Sec, Null-Sec and Wormhole. So, if this is where players mainly dwell, developing Low-Sec will not be on top of CCP's agenda. I am, however, inclined to think it's all a spiralling catch-22 situation; people avoid Low-Sec because CCP don't put anything there, but CCP don't put anything there because people avoid Low-Sec. Even in my short travels in this region of space, I have been surprised at how quiet it is.

The reason the timing of this topic is unfortunate is because I'm in the beginning process of a move into Low-Sec. Had this Blog-Banter been issued next month, I would have some interesting points to contribute to this post. Ron (the Corp CEO) and myself were discussing POS's only the other day. It was one of those conversations that started off as idle chat and quickly bloated into big ideas. To cut the boring details, we decided to put up a POS in Low-Sec. It will be geared around moon mining, with facilities to accommodate the occasional Low-Sec Mining-Op. At the time of writing this we are still in the probing-phase of the operation, so I don't have much to report (other than Ron lost his Heron to someone's POS defences - Haha!). But I am very excited to be making a move to Low-Sec.

However, at the moment I am looking to use Low-Sec as an additional income. I will remain based in High-Sec for the most part. I can't see our Corp making a permanent move out there. Not yet, anyway. Without actually operating in Low-Sec I don't know if it's even profitable enough to make a permanent move. We'll see. For the nature of our operations (CareBear-ey stuff) it would probably benefit us if Low-Sec did remain quiet - but that is purely for selfish reasons, and I don't want to be a bad sport.

Apologies for my naivety on this subject, especially with it being my first Blog-Banter post. But hopefully in the up-coming weeks I will be forming a very strong opinion on Low-Sec life.

Akinesis


CK's links:


Crazykinux's Musing: http://www.crazykinux.com
EVE Blog Pack: http://tinyurl.com/eveblogpack
EVE Blog Banter: http://tinyurl.com/evebanters

No comments:

Post a Comment